Friday, June 14, 2013

Entry #3: Food, Inc.

After I watched this documentary, I had a lot of thoughts on my mind! Even though I have seen it once before in a class, I was just as surprised this time as I was the first. It absolutely disgusts me to know that animals are treated in such poor ways. Even though I eat meat, I do not agree with the farming methods that big businesses are forcing farmers to use. Farming can no longer be called "farming" anymore.
It is not fresh food being delivered to the markets. The food is artificial. The chickens are so heavy that they can't bear their own weight. The cows have bacteria growing inside them due to the poor diet of corn in order to reduce costs.
I do not like the idea of corn being in multiple foods. It isn't a very healthy item when it's turned  into high fructose corn syrup. Corn is being used in unnecessary ways. I think that the government is ridiculous for letting this take place. The fact that the same government officials who work for organizations like the FDA work for big-business companies like Monsanto, scares me. The one part in Food, Inc. that got to me was when seed cleaner, Moe, was taken to court for cleaning his own seeds. How pathetic was that? Businesses who are abusing their power should be given warnings from the government.
I think that Americans have the right to know what they're eating. There should be labels regarding cloned animals. There should be information given out to us, the public, as to what exactly we are putting into our bodies.
Overall, I think that the documentary was very informative and kept me interested the whole time!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I totally agree with you all the way. I also feel businesses like Monsanto shouldn't be able to treat people (especially private farmers trying to make an extra buck)the way they do. What really got me was also the focus on the chickens and the environment they are forced to live in. What also blew my mind was the part where they spoke on the situation regarding cows, and what happened to Kevin. After viewing the video I have different view on the foods I buy at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, there should be labels on every product out there. It is just not right to blindly consume the food that we don't even know where it comes from, or how it was made.

    ReplyDelete